A diesel generator (DG) (also known as diesel Genset) is a packaged combination of a generator, a diesel engine & various additional devices like a canopy, base, sound attenuation, circuit breakers, control systems, radiator, starting system, water separator, Fuel tank, Fuel Filter and Air filter.
The diesel engine was developed over a century ago and was instrumental in replacing the steam engine. After the death of its inventor, “Rudolf Diesel”, the diesel engine underwent a lot of changes.
Even today it has a great potential for modifications to make it more efficient for fuel economy, power output, and cleaner exhaust fumes.
Set sizes range from 8 to 30 kVA single phase for homes, small shops, and offices with the larger industrial generators from 11 kVA up to 2,500 kVA three-phase used for large office complexes, factories, and other industrial facilities.
A diesel generator can be used as an emergency power supply in case of power cuts or in places where there is no connection with the power grid. They are not only for emergency power, but may also have a secondary function of feeding power to utility grids either during peak periods, or periods when there is a shortage of large power generators.
Diesel generators are known for their durability, as well as versatility to handle projects of all types and sizes. The reason lies not only in the construction of the generator itself, but the fuel type that helps power the generator to run in all sorts of situations.
Commercial diesel generators are usually synonymous with standby power, also known as backup emergency power, but diesel generators are so versatile, they can be used across the board through multiple, various industries. These generators are widely used in events, hypermarkets, construction, hospitals, and in many other contexts where energy is indispensable.
The diesel generator comes in different sizes, models, and designs, here are the different types of diesel generator you should know about.
- Industrial or Residential Diesel generators. The industrial diesel generator is larger and can provide a great deal of power for a long time. They are generally used in industries where power demand is high. While Residential generators, common smaller sizes and provide power up to a specific range. They are ideal for use in households, small shops, and offices.
2. Air-cooled or Water-cooled. Air-cooled diesel generators rely on air to provide the cooling function for the generator. Only an air intake system is used, no other additional part is required. On the other hand, Water cooled diesel generators rely on water for cooling. They comprise of a separate system for achieving this function. Water-cooled diesel generator requires more maintenance than air-cooled diesel generators.
Diesel generators have a wide range of power output and they can be classified according to their use and applications. A diesel generator with the power output of 3kVA is perfect to power appliances in the household, small shop, and even offices. There is a diesel generator with a power output of 2000kVA would be needed to run large industries or organizations with high power demand.
There are also certain factors you would have to consider before purchasing a diesel generator. Some of these factors include:
How much power you need to power your household appliances or the business or the industry. Get to know how much power you would need first, to get the one that is appropriate for your need. According to the need of the place, generators ranging from 2.5 kVA 2000 kVA can be used.
Low power output would not get the job done and high power output can cause damages to your electrical appliances. This is why it's so important to get a diesel generator with the appropriate power output for your need.
* Fuel consumption. Find out the fuel consumption of the diesel generator per hour and per KVA and also the fuel efficiency it provides for the load. Some generators adjust their engine speed based on the load demand for greater fuel efficiency. Both fuel efficiency and fuel tank size will affect the run time.
* Portability and size are also very important. You have to keep in mind to the size of the generator is respect to the space available to keep it. And also, generators with wheels and handles make it easier to move the generator from one place to another.
* Noise level. Most diesel generators come with noise absorbing technology that helps to reduce the level of noise produced by the generator. However, the proximity of the generator to the building also determines the noise level. High noise emission can be a problem if the generator is kept nearby.
Diesel generators are available in both single and three-phase and their source of fuel is diesel.
Diesel fuel is derived from petroleum, which is obtained by distilling it at elevated temperatures, between 250°C and about 350°C. Besides being used in generators, it is also used in automobiles, machinery, trucks, boats, etc.
It is a fuel that has the advantage, among others, of granting high performance to the equipment that uses it. The advantages of having a diesel generator set are endless, there is a reason why they are one of the most popular generating sets in the Nigerian market today. Let us talk about some of those advantages.
Advantages of diesel generators.
- A big benefit of installing a diesel generator is the assurance of a steady power supply. In establishments such as hospitals, this plays a significant role because most of the machines used require constant power and one power outage could mean the difference between life and death.
- Sturdier build construction with stronger metals, larger engines & cooling components and so there is increased durability. In terms of life span, a diesel engine is much longer-lasting. It can last up to 3 times longer than a typical petrol engine. They are more rugged and reliable.
- Although diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol, it is considerably more energy and fuel-efficient. Since the price of diesel is more than that of petrol, diesel has a higher energy density. In other words, while you may pay more for the diesel, you will also get more energy out of the diesel than you would for the same volume of petrol.
- Hence, fuel efficiency is by far the single most important advantage of diesel generators. They have a longer running time when running at the same capacity as the petrol engines. Some diesel engines consume up to half as much fuel as compatible petrol engines.
- Modern days’ diesel generators have improved so much and now have a quieter operation and require less maintenance as compared with gas engines of similar size. They have lower noise output and less overall maintenance when compared to natural gas generators.
- Another big advantage over petrol engines is that diesel engines do not require spark plugs or wires; this helps in reducing maintenance costs. The major ongoing service requirement for a diesel engine is regular oil changes.
- Longer overall lifespan & longevity. As they are used for longer periods they become more profitable than gasoline generators. They also have efficient fuel consumption.
- Diesel fuel is safer with less risk of ignition when compared to petrol. Being less flammable than other fuel sources, diesel generators also score high on the safety front. Moreover, the absence of spark plugs eliminates the risk of freak fires.
All of the above advantages are amongst the reasons why industries and some households can’t think of a moment without the diesel generator sets as a backup power supply when there are power shortages. However, there are also some disadvantages to using the diesel engine. Something you should take note of is the fact that most of these disadvantages are relative.
Disadvantages of diesel generators.
- Noise has always been an issue about diesel generators. While the newer models are designed to be quieter, the older variants can still be considerably noisy. This can be detrimental in certain situations like camping for example.
- Another drawback is that diesel generators are bulky and comprise large and heavy components. These generators may not be the most preferred portable unit.
- While in operation, diesel engines are considered less environmentally friendly with more emissions than petrol engines.
Even after weighing up the advantages versus the disadvantages, you would conclude that due to the longer life and lower maintenance requirements, a diesel-powered generator is the best option.
One thing to note is that diesel engines don’t have to work as hard as petrol engines to get the same power output. This means the engine parts are under less stress. However, diesel fuel is self-lubricating which means the fuel delivery system should last longer than that of a petrol engine
Now you know that diesel generators are more fuel-efficient and require less maintenance than gas-powered models. They also tend to last longer and save you in cost over time as well. When shopping for a diesel generator, you will encounter a variety of sizes, prices, and performance levels.
Below are some of the best diesel generators you would find in Nigeria. They offer you awesome features and long-lasting durability at affordable prices. You can get these diesel generators for as low as N320,000.
Lutian generators are known for low operating cost and impressive performance. Lutian diesel generators attract positive reviews and feedback due to their durability and reliability. Although a relatively new brand, Lutian has now become a popular name in the generator market.
The Lutian Super Silent Diesel Generator 6 Kva goes for just N320,000 and it is sure to serve you excellently for many years to come.
It is the second-best portable diesel generator in Nigeria and it possesses qualities that make it worthy of being on this list. This portable generator is started by electric key only and has a single phase.
Its 16-liter fuel tank capacity is enough to give you about 14 hours’ continuous operation time. It also has a low oil alarm system that keeps your generator safe for damage. The Lutian Super Silent Diesel Generator comes with a vertical, 4-stroke, air-cooled, direct injection, single-cylinder engine. And it is super quiet, allowing you to enjoy a noise-free operation.
FIRMAN is another brand that produces amazing diesel generators. FIRMAN generator sets ranked first for six consecutive years among brands of exported portable Gasoline Generator in China. FIRMAN diesel generator offers low to high power capacity which makes them good for residential installations, small commercial enterprises, and industrial applications.
The low power Soundproof models can also be a plus for residential areas.
The Sumec Firman 6.5Kva - SDG12000SE- 100% Copper Generator is a powerful piece of technology that boasts of high-quality performance.
Perkins is another amazing brand that tops the chart when it comes to high performing diesel generators. Perkins is known for its advanced engineering and technology. It is a household name synonymous with high-performance diesel engines, trusted by businesses and homes for decades is no different today.
The Perkins 20kva Diesel Generator (Fully Sound Proof) is an industrial-sized generator that goes for N2.1 million naira. This diesel generator can extend its fuel tanks, larger fuel tanks allow for longer periods between refueling.
With super silent enclosures, the 20 kVA Perkins Sound-proof Diesel Generator offers excellent sound attenuation with sound as low as 57 dBA at 7m. This diesel generator also offers you Telematics that allows for remote access to Genset controls ensuring you're always in control where ever you are.
These generators can efficiently power almost any load you might need to power either in your office or home (television sets, deep freezers, refrigerators, electric water pumps, microwave, etc.). It also usually uses diesel as fuel, which is a very efficient fuel source. However, proper maintenance and operation are essential for correct operation, without forgetting to carry out all the scheduled inspections.
To get the best quality diesel generators at amazingly affordable prices, go to Zit Electronics Store for the best deals in Nigeria.
Get your reliable backup power source and have no regret when the power holdings company disappoints you on that big occasion.